How to Create a Canvas Observer Account
Please follow the three step process listed below to create your account.
Part One: Obtain a Pairing Code
1. Using your student's GCA Chromebook or your Personal Device, log into your student's Canvas account with your student's GCA G-Suite credentials which were emailed to you:
Use your student’s GCA G-Suite email and password to log in. Select the Canvas LMS link from the saved georgiacyber.org bookmarks in the Chrome browser
Go to accounts.google.com and use your student's GCA G-Suite email and password to log in.
Select the Apps icon.
Choose Canvas LMS.
2. From your student’s Canvas account choose Account, then Settings from the left side navigation.
3. Select Pair with Observer, located on the right side of the page.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
NOTE: If you have multiple students with GCA and wish to have them paired to your Canvas Observer Account, repeat steps 1-4 in each student’s Canvas account to receive their pairing code. Please copy each one accurately
Part Two: Create Your Canvas Observer Account
1. Visit this link: //georgiacyber.instructure.com/login/canvas
2. Choose Parent of a Canvas User at the top of the page.
3. In the box that opens, enter the information requested:
- Name: The Parent or Learning Coach’s full name
- Email: The email address you used when enrolling with GCA, not the student’s email
- Create a Password: 8 characters long
- Confirm your Password.
- Enter the Pairing Code you copied from Part 1, Step 4. of these instructions.
- Select "Start Participating"
NOTE: If your Canvas Observer Account does not automatically open, visit: //georgiacyber.instructure.com/login/canvas
and log in with your email and newly created password.
To pair any additional students in your Canvas Observer Account, go to Account, then Observing, and enter one of your additional student's pairing code and choose "+Student" to add them.
Part Three: Enroll in the Strong Start Course
Once you successfully create your Canvas Observer Account, you can enroll in the required Strong Start 2020-2021 Course which is specifically designed for Parents and Learning Coaches new to GCA.
Go back to the email from your FSL and use the course access link provided.
If you have trouble enrolling in the Strong Start course after creating your account, please contact your FSL for help.